- Session A: June 28th - July 23rd
- Session B: July 26th - August 20th
Age - Entering 10th grade
Program description: Our Counselor-In-Training program combines the fun of camp with leadership and on-the-job training. The CIT program in a unique opportunity for motivated young adults to develop the necessary skills to be role models for children. CITs spend part of their day enjoying a range of activities and part of their day learning about responsibility and professionalism by assisting counselors with camper activities. They also learn interviewing skills, CPR/First Aid, and guidance on how to navigate difficult social challenges of young adulthood.
Highlights of the Counselor-In-Training Program
- Counselor training for working with our preschool and elementary school aged kids
- Being mentored by role models AKA our great camp counselors
- Classes on First Aid, CPR, and mental health support
- Training on the Y’s program and mission
- Developing skills to prepare for college, a career, and life
Sample weekly schedule
- Week 1 – The magic behind the curtain: Learning camp counselor skills
- Week 2 – Developing leadership skills addressing the 4 core values of the Y (caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility)
- Week 3 – Getting ready for the college and careers with job readiness & life skills
- Week 4 – Working with children! Being a “counselor”-in-training.