The Lead Teacher, under the direction of the Director, is an experienced individual who will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum, that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of all students in the classroom. The Lead Teacher works within the YMCA Philosophy of Education to ensure a safe, warm and welcoming environment, while following policies and procedures. The Lead Teacher will conduct student assessments, create individualized plans, facilitate family engagement, oversee the Classroom Assistants, who aid in the execution of activities. Responsibilities also include communicating effectively with the parents/guardians by keeping them up to date on their children’s progress and providing a nurturing and caring environment for the children. The Lead Teacher maintains ratio and ensures the safety of children at all times.
• Glen Cove
• Great South Bay
• Implement and design curriculum within the established guidelines, including daily lesson/activity plans.
• Manage and fully supervise children, classroom, Teacher Assistants and all activities.
• Conduct ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child in classroom.
• Conduct parent conferences and maintain positive relationships and effective communication with parents. Engage parents as volunteers.
• Share and discuss lesson plans with classroom team and supervise performance as related to the curriculum and center philosophy.
• Mentor Teacher Assistants to enhance continued professional growth.
• Maintain all records including attendance, incident reports, daily logs, and parent sign in and out book, in compliance with HR procedures, state and other agency regulations as appropriate.
• Maintain classroom equipment, ensure healthy and safe classroom environment.
• Participate in YMCA special events.
• Model and enforce appropriate positive discipline techniques as established by the policies of the center.
• Participate in required trainings and workshops to continue to enhance professional growth. (As per NYS OCFS Regulations of 30 hours every 2 years.)
• Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
• Works with Child Care Director to determine and establish key goals annually.
• Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
• Adhere to all NYS OCFS, Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
• Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
• Valid NYS Teaching Certification (Preferably Early Childhood Education Birth – grade 2) & a Masters in Early Childhood Education, or a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood/Childhood Education is required.
• Minimum of two (2) years teaching experience in a group setting, preferably with preschool age group.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of youth development principles.
• Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
• Knowledge of birth to age five (5) in development and curriculum, modern theories in early years’ education, and healthy living.
• Experience in staff supervision, curriculum implementation, classroom management and effective parental communication.
• Knowledge of YMCA policies, procedures, and requirements as well as NYS OCFS, NAEYC, DOH, and CDC.
• Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communication with all levels including staff, parents, and community partners.
• Ability to problem solve and make decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
• Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
• CPR, First Aid and AED certifications required.
• Child Abuse Prevention, Health and Safety from NYS OCFS within 30 days of hire.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
• Glen Cove – Liberty Ledesma, Liberty.Ledesma@ymcali.org
• Huntington- Marissa Dicpinigaitis, Marissa.Dicpinigaitis@ymcali.org
• Great South Bay – Cindy Becker, Cindy.Becker@ymcali.org
• Patchogue – Tina Norbut, Tina.Norbut@ymcali.org