The YMCA of Long Island is seeking part-time School Aged Childcare Site Directors. Candidates must be enthusiastic, dependable and have a passion for working with children. The positions key function is to plan, develop, supervise, and implement the program activities at the site. Responsible for managing the day to day operations of the program they oversee. Duties include but are not limited to supporting and training lead counselors, maintaining communication changes with the school and parents, maintaining a controlled atmosphere in the site, overseeing attendance and busing of the students, and monitoring the overall safety of the students.
Locations and Schedule (Exact times may vary based on location):
• Bay Shore – 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Massapequa – 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Huntington– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• South Huntington– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Cold Spring Harbor– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Brookhaven (South Country Schools) - 7:00AM-8:30AM and/or 2:30PM-6:00PM
• Patchogue - 7:00AM-8:30AM and/or 3:00PM-6:00PM
• Valley Stream -2:00PM-6:30PM
• New Hyde Park- 2:00PM-6:30PM
1. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
2. Manage the day to day operations of the Y Afterschool while ensuring all OCFS rules and regulations are being followed.
3. Maintain accurate program documentation (incident reports, accident report, behavior report, attendance & sign-in / sign-out sheets, and licensing requirements for OCFS).
4. Plan, organize, and implement a structured program with developmentally appropriate activities consisting of engaging educational and recreational activities for participants with lesson plans. Must require and work together with counselors in the daily set-up, cleanup, homework time, busing time and snack time.
5. Provide a monthly calendar to families and communicate regularly with children, parents and supervisor and inform of days happenings and any changes. .
6. Must supervise counselors with students at all times.
7. Must require and work together with counselors in the daily set-up, cleanup, homework time, programmatic time as well as snack time.
8. Ensure that supplies and equipment are kept safe and available, to operate a successful program.
9. Promote literacy, multiculturalism, parent and community involvement through appropriate program enhancements and activities.
10. Respond to e-mails and phone messages within one business day.
11. Monitor and update all required staff training attendance and certifications.
12. Serve as a liaison with school personnel, specifically the principal and his/her designee. Attend school planning meeting and PTA meetings. Develop community relations with other community organizations or programs.
13. Facilitate and/or supervise the collection and submission of data for monitoring/funding agency/ies.
14. Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
15. Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
16. Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
1. Associate's degree in Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field or New York State Children's Program Administrator credential or School Age Child Care Credential or other Office recognized credential specific to the school-age developmental period or Two years of college with 18 credits in Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field.
2. Minimum of 2 years direct experience working with children under 13 years of age.
3. Minimum of 1 year in a supervisory capacity in a child care program or related field
4. Current Certifications in CPR, First Aid preferred or must complete YMCA trainings upon hire.
5. Ability to articulate the YMCA mission and programs to staff, volunteers, and community.
6. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
7. Ability to work in a fast paced, highly flexible and rapidly changing work environment.
May be required to drive between YMCA facilities and to training or meetings in various locations. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50lbs.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
• Bay Shore – Robin VanSchaick, Robin.VanSchaick@ymcali.org
• Massapequa- Cathy McKenna, Cathy.McKenna@ymcali.org
• Brookhaven and Patchogue – Darryl Smith, Darryl.Smith@ymcali.org
• Huntington, South Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor – Grace Tully, Grace.Tully@ymcali.org
• Valley Stream and New Hyde Park – Christine Conlon, Christine.Conlon@ymcali.org