As Fitness Center Monitor, you will welcome, greet and provide friendly assistance to facility users, creating a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. You will maintain a clean fitness center or gymnasium using disinfecting products provided by the YMCA. You will provide safe and effective instructions on the operation of all cardiovascular and weight training equipment. You will provide assessments and orientations designed to aid members in achieving healthy goals.
• Supervise the Fitness Center or Gymnasium as scheduled.
• Disinfect and clean equipment and floors.
• When permitted, it is important to provide safe and effective instruction to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
• By providing all members with an orientation implementing YMCA Coaching methods and adjusting to accommodate a variety of fitness levels, understanding contraindications and offering potential modifications.
• By performing an assessment using specific form based on member’s level of comfort.
• By implementing Listen First skills to create realistic healthy goals based off assessment.
• By providing MY WELLNESS PLAN appointments with members focusing on creating goals and setting them into action following the outlined protocol.
• To understand and to be able to use all strength training and cardiovascular exercise equipment.
• Ensure equipment is stored properly and set up properly, as needed.
• To enforce all facility and program policies.
• To be dressed neatly in YMCA uniform shirt and black shorts or navy shorts, or fitness pants. Name tags are required by all employees at all times while on duty.
• To know the facility schedule and familiarize oneself with all YMCA programs.
• To answer questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintain working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
• To build effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. To play a positive role in assisting the Health Seekers to obtain their goals.
• To follow YMCA policies and procedures, to know emergency procedures, to respond to emergency situations and to accurately file an incident report.
• Mission Advancement
• Operational Effectiveness
• Personal Growth
• One to two years related experience preferred.
• First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 Administration certification required within 6-months of hire. Maintain active status on an annual basis.
• YMCA Sexual Harassment and Child Abuse Training within thirty days of hire.
• Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y, Principles of Member Health and Wellness, Wellness Center at the Y certification within six months of hire.
• Foundations of Strength and Conditioning at the Y (Offered by ACE) within six months of hire.
• YMCA Listen First within three months of hire.
• Must have knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
• The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
• Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum: $15.00 p/h to Maximum: $24.75 p/h
Newly hired employees will be paid between $15.00 p/h and $15.98 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
1. Signing Bonus
2. Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
3. YMCA program discounts
4. Sick leave
5. Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.