The Day Camp Specialist is responsible for planning and executing recreational or arts activities and providing overall supervision to campers. Specifically, the Day Camp Activity Specialist will prepare and provide age-appropriate fine or performing arts, arts and crafts, team building, ropes course or sports instruction for participants in Summer Day Camp.
• Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
• Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and based in the areas of fine or performing arts, arts and crafts, team building, ropes course or sports.
• Teach participants the fundamentals of fine or performing arts, arts and crafts, team building, ropes course or sports; including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
• Perform specific scheduled assignments, including but not limited to: swimming, arrival and/or departure, and lunch duty.
• Support the planning and implementation of all camp activities, including but not limited to summer learning initiatives, field trips, in-camp events, and culminating performances.
• Work cooperatively with all program staff.
• Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
• Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
• Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
• Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Summer Day Camp program to staff, participants, and care givers.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
• Attend all required pre-camp trainings. Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
• Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
• Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
• Critical Thinking and Decision Making
• Associates Degree or 9 educational credits in Elementary Education, Science, Art or a related field; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Minimum one year of experience working with youth, specifically in area of specialty.
• Formal certification in area of specialty preferred.
• Knowledge of youth development stages.
• Experience implementing programs in area of specialty.
• Strong communication and relationship building skills.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
• YMCA at Glen Cove, 125 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove – Peter Foster, Careers_GC@ymcali.org
• Patchogue YMCA, 155 Buckley Road, Holtsville- Tina Norbut, Tina.Norbut@ymcali.org
• YMCA East Hampton RECenter, 2 Gingerbread Lane, East Hampton- Sondra Vecchio, Sondra.Vecchio@ymcali.org