The YMCA of Long Island is seeking part-time School Aged Childcare Group Leaders. Candidates must be enthusiastic, dependable and have a passion for working with children. The positions key function is to supervise and ensure the safety and well-being of the children as individuals and as a group. Responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the classroom they are assigned too. Duties include but are not limited to assisting children with homework, planning and organizing creative activities for their group each day, and maintaining daily communication with parents.
Locations and Schedule (Exact times may vary based on location):
• Bay Shore – 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Massapequa – 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Huntington– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• South Huntington– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Cold Spring Harbor– 7:00AM-9:00AM and/or 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Brookhaven (South Country Schools) - 7:00AM-8:30AM and/or 2:30PM-6:00PM
• Patchogue - 7:00AM-8:30AM and/or 3:00PM-6:00PM
• Valley Stream -2:00PM-6:30PM
• New Hyde Park- 2:00PM-6:30PM
• Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
• Plan and implement meaningful activities and lesson plans that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, creative expression, community service, physical fitness, and/or nutrition.
• Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for program activities.
• Support the coordination and presentation of a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
• Provide support to Activity Specialists with activity implementation.
• Assist children with homework and academic enhancement activities.
• Work cooperatively with program and school staff.
• Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
• Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
• Serve as a positive role model for participants.
• Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior/incident/accident reports, as appropriate).
• Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Afterschool program to participants and care givers.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
• Adhere to all Office of Children and Family Services and YMCA of Long Island, expectations, and regulations.
• Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
• Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
• Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
1. Must be at least 17 years old.
2. Minimum of 2 years experience working with children.
3. Current Certifications in CPR, First Aid preferred; must complete YMCA trainings upon hire.
4. Ability to articulate the YMCA mission and programs to staff, volunteers, and community.
5. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
6. Ability to work in a fast paced, highly flexible and rapidly changing work environment.
May be required to drive between YMCA facilities and to training or meetings in various locations. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50lbs.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
• Bay Shore – Robin VanSchaick, Robin.VanSchaick@ymcali.org
• Massapequa- Cathy McKenna, Cathy.McKenna@ymcali.org
• Brookhaven and Patchogue – Darryl Smith, Darryl.Smith@ymcali.org
• Huntington, South Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor – Grace Tully, Grace.Tully@ymcali.org
• Valley Stream and New Hyde Park – Christine Conlon, Christine.Conlon@ymcali.org