The Day Camp Unit Leader is responsible for providing leadership, oversight and support to one of the Summer Day Camp units and ensuring quality supervision and program execution.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of program participants and staff by providing appropriate supervision at all times. Understand, maintain, and ensure that staff and participants follow safety procedures.
- Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Take responsibility for one’s own well-being; assist in COVID-19 wellness screenings and health related concerns.
- Assist Camp Director in working with Day Camp Counselors to plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and values based.
- Assist in monitoring Day Camp Counselor performance, ensuring performance is aligned with camp goals.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants; and promotes a positive camp spirit.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Perform specific scheduled assignments, including but not limited to: swimming, arrival and/or departure, and lunch duty.
- Support the planning and implementation of all camp activities, including but not limited to summer learning initiatives, field trips, in-camp events, and culminating performances.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Summer Day Camp program to staff, participants, and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Support the development and facilitation of required pre-camp trainings. Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college credits preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience working with youth, preferably in a day camp setting.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
- YMCA at Glen Cove, 125 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove – Joseph Furman, Joseph.Furman@ymcali.org
- YMCA at Herricks Summer Rec Program, Center Street Elementary School, 240 Center Street Williston Park and Herricks High School, 100 Shelter Rock Road, New Hyde Park – Liberty Ledesma, Liberty.Ledesma@ymcali.org
- Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington- Marissa Dicpinigaitis, Marissa.Dicpinigaitis@ymcali.org
- Great South Bay YMCA, 200 West Main Street, Bay Shore - Cathy McKenna, Cathy.McKenna@ymcali.org
- Patchogue YMCA, 155 Buckley Road, Holtsville- Tina Norbut, Tina.Norbut@ymcali.org
- YMCA East Hampton RECenter, 2 Gingerbread Lane, East Hampton- Sondra Vecchio, Sondra.Vecchio@ymcali.org