The Assistant Teacher will support the Lead Teacher to ensure that families receive quality services which provide for growth in academics, social and emotional development, and that the program meets the educational, physical and developmental needs of the program participants. The Assistant Teacher will assist the Lead Teacher in planning, scheduling and implementing the daily program, and making daily observations of the children. Responsibilities also include communicating effectively with the parents/guardians by keeping them up to date on their children’s progress and providing a nurturing and caring environment for the children.
- Assist the Lead Teacher in maintaining healthy and safe classroom environment of children.
- Assist the Lead Teacher in maintaining the organization/appearance and décor of the assigned classroom (bulletin boards, displays, storage areas, general cleanliness, etc.).
- Assist the Lead Teacher in implementing an age appropriate curriculum.
- Work with the different age groups and classes upon request.
- Participate in YMCA sponsored special events.
- Participate in staff meetings, trainings and workshops to enhance professional growth.
- Provide consistent interaction, encouragement, nurturance for all children on all levels (floors, sitting at tables, etc.)
- Model relationship-building skills in all interactions. Assist in responding to all parent inquiries and concerns in timely manner.
- Attend trainings and meetings in absence of Lead Teacher, and at other times, as requested or appropriate.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
- Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
- Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- High School Diploma required; some college preferred.
- One to two years related experience in a group setting with preschool children.
- Maintain training requirements as required by the NYS Office of Licensing.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Experience in assisting with curriculum implementation and being a contributing team member is essential.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications.
- Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
The YMCA of Long Island also offers the following benefits:
- $350 Sign-on bonus
- Child Care Discounts
- Free Gym membership
- Full time & Part-time hours
- Flexible schedules
- Referral bonus
- and more!
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, please email:
Bay Shore: Cindy Becker at Cindy.Becker@ymcali.org
Huntington: Marissa Dicpinigaitis at Marissa Dicpinigaitis
Patchogue: Tina Norbut at Tina.Norbut@ymcali.org
Farmingdale: Shannon Cussen at Shannon.Cussen@ymcali.org