Under the supervision of your supervisor, the Sports Instructor will represent the Long Island Y in a positive professional manner, resulting in friendly, convenient and courteous service. You will be responsible for teaching youth and/or adult classes or water Sports classes as assigned. You are also responsible for the safety and well-being of all class participants.
- Program/Department Responsibilities
- Instruction of assigned classes, teaching proper techniques and form of appropriate sport
- Keep accurate attendance records and class records
- Evaluate participants’ ability/level for proper placement
- Explain progress and procedures to supervisor, participants and parents, if applicable
- Prepare gym/outdoor/pool areas with necessary equipment/supplies
- Prepare lesson plans, in accordance with approved goals for the designated program
- Maintain continuous order and safety in class, in line with YMCA standards
- Supervise groups of different age groups with control and enthusiasm
- Attend scheduled meetings with Program Director/Coordinator in preparation for upcoming sports sessions
- Work with and provide leadership for parent and program volunteers, if needed
- Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Facility/Housekeeping Responsibility
- Clean area after class, reporting damaged/broken equipment to supervisor immediately
- Interdivisional/Community/Volunteer Responsibility
- Provide friendly, courteous service to all members, clients and volunteers of the Y
- Contribute to a positive work environment by illustrating pride in job, enthusiasm and cooperation with co-workers
- Mission Advancement
- Operational Effectiveness
- Personal Growth
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least one year of experience facilitating sports classes
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate activities
- Sports skills and experience in teaching a related class
- Current CPR and AED certification
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Professional appearance & demeanor at all times
- Punctual, prepared & responsible
- Keeps up with industry changes, willing to increase knowledge in field
- Ability to highlight, promote, and participate in other programs offered at the branch
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
- Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
how to apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum: $15.00 p/h to Maximum: $33.75 p/h
Newly hired employees will be paid between $15.00 p/h and $16.88 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
- Signing Bonus
- Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
- YMCA program discounts
- Sick leave
- Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.