To instruct group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. To offer a variety of exercise modalities to enhance physical fitness levels through instruction of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and mind-body practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
· Ensure members are wearing a face mask at all times and wiping down equipment before and after each use.
· To lead energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes (Cycle, HIIT, Barre, Kickboxing, Zumba, Senior) that accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
· To answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. To maintain a working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
· To build effective, authentic relationships with members; help members connect with each other and the YMCA.
· To keep accurate class attendance records, if required.
· To follow YMCA policies and procedures, to know emergency procedures, to respond to emergency situations and to accurately file an incident report.
· To know and enforce all Facility Rules to ensure the safety of all members/participants. To immediately stop any behavior, which in your professional opinion is deemed unsafe. To always act maturely and professionally.
· To dress neatly and professionally, with no midriff showing attire.
· To use professional music without obscene language and innuendos.
· To know facility schedules and familiarize oneself with all YMCA programs.
· To have the ability to adjust the workout to accommodate a variety of fitness levels.
· To educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications, and modifications of a move or moves.
· To arrive on time, prepared to begin and end the class on time. On time means you are changed, organized, scan/signed in for the start of your class, available to introduce and welcome new members. 3 late arrivals will result in immediate action not limited to termination.
· To be responsible for using Group Ex Pro for own class coverage when unavailable to teach.
· Use Group Ex Pro for communicating class attendance.
1. First Aid, CPR, AED certification required within six months of hire.
2. Certification in areas of expertise. (Yoga, Spinning, Diabetes Prevention, etc.)
3. Must have knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
4. Maintain active status on an annual basis.
5. Must be available for day and evening classes.
6. YMCA Sexual Harassment and Child Abuse Training within three months of hire.
7. YMCA of Long Island New Employee Orientation within three months of hire
8. YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification or a national certification (ACE, ACSM AFAA, NASM or equivalent) in group exercise instruction. If incumbent does not have certification at time of hire, must achieve within three months of hire.
9. YMCA Listen First within three months of hire.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to Health and Wellness Director, Brittany Mueller at Brittany.Mueller@ymcali.org.