Provide direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. The Swim Instructor will conduct quality aquatic programs and promote the YMCA’s Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
· Glen Cove
· Great South Bay
1. Instruct swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, in accordance with set lesson plans.
2. Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
3. Build effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
4. Convey information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
5. Maintain records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
6. Develop positive relationship with participants and provides motivational support and guidance.
7. Respond to participants’ inquiries in accordance to program policies and procedures. Refer detailed inquiries to supervisor.
8. Understand and enthusiastically endorse other YMCA programs, especially other aquatic programs.
9. Know, understand, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
10. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
11. Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
12. Organize and put away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
13. Train and supervise class aides as assigned.
1. Minimum age of 16.
2. Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
3. YMCA Swim Instructor certification, American Red Cross WSI, Water Fitness or AFYAP certification is preferred.
4. YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor Certification must be completed when course becomes available, within first year of eligibility.
5. American Red Cross, or YMCA Lifeguard, or YMCA Instructor Safety Assistant, within one year.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
YMCA at Glen Cove, 125 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove – Peter Foster, Careers_GC@ymcali.org
Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington- Nicole Dinolfo, Nicole.Dinolfo@ymcali.org
Great South Bay YMCA, 200 West Main Street, Bay Shore – Lisa McKeown, Lisa.McKeown@ymcali.org
Patchogue Family YMCA, 255 West Main Street, Patchogue – Christina Frank, Christina.Frank@ymcali.org