As School Aged Childcare Group Leader, you must be enthusiastic, dependable and have a passion for working with children. You will supervise and ensure the safety and well-being of the children as individuals and as a group. You will be responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the classroom they are assigned too. Duties include but are not limited to assisting children with homework, planning and organizing creative activities for their group each day, and maintaining daily communication with parents.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and lesson plans that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, creative expression, community service, physical fitness, and/or nutrition.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for program activities.
- Support the coordination and presentation of a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Provide support to Activity Specialists with activity implementation.
- Assist children with homework and academic enhancement activities.
- Work cooperatively with program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior/incident/accident reports, as appropriate).
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Afterschool program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Adhere to all Office of Children and Family Services and YMCA of Long Island, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
- Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Mission Advancement
- Operational Effectiveness
- Personal Growth
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with children.
- Current Certifications in CPR, First Aid preferred or must complete YMCA trainings upon hire.
- Ability to articulate the YMCA mission and programs to staff, volunteers, and community.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, highly flexible and rapidly changing work environment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
- Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
how to apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum: $15.00 p/h to Maximum: $25.88 p/h
Newly hired employees will be paid between $15.00 p/h and $15.98 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
- Signing Bonus
- Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
- YMCA program discounts
- Sick leave
- Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)