As Lifeguard, you will maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. You will create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Must be available to work one of the following:
- o Saturdays, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- o Sundays, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- o Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Must be available to work the following:
- o 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm, 3 or 4 days between Monday and Friday
- o 8-hour work shifts, 5 days per week, including Saturdays, Sundays or both
- Maintain active surveillance of the pool area.
- Know/review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Complete related reports as required.
- Maintain effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Know, understand, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintain accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Perform chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and take appropriate action.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Mission Advancement
- Operational Effectiveness
- Personal Growth
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid.
- Current Lifeguard certificate; Nassau County Lifeguard Certification required for Nassau county locations.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
- Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
how to apply:
Minimum: $20.00 p/h to Maximum: $25.88 p/h
Newly hired employees will be paid $20.00 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
- Signing Bonus
- Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
- YMCA program discounts
- Sick leave
- Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)
- Retirement Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Time Off
- Medical/Dental/Leave Insurances
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.