The Aquatics Coordinator under the direction of the Aquatics Director will assist with the organization and implementation of diverse and safe swim programs, including large group and individual Aquatic activities, swim lessons for all ages, and promotion of program participation. Responsibilities also include supporting and assisting the Aquatics Director with staff supervision, planning and confirmation of staff assignments and schedules, and assisting with staff training. The Aquatics Coordinator will have a responsibility to provide supportive leadership and supervision in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The positions key function is to build strong lasting relationships with members, employees and volunteers that will build healthy lifestyles.
• Supervise Aquatics Department in the absence of the Aquatic Director and assist with the instruction and supervision of Aquatic programs.
• Organize program session scheduling and class assignments. Assist the Aquatic Director in the placement and assignment of class instructors and lifeguard shifts.
• Assist with the supervision of staff and ensure programs and Lifeguard staffing are adequately covered.
• Complete all records and reports essential for staff training, evaluation, program planning and pool scheduling.
• Personally provide a minimum of 10-20 hours per week of direct service as a lifeguard and/or swim instructor.
• Be accountable for coverage of all assigned lifeguard and/or swim instructor shifts.
• Maintain and enforce the high standards of the Aquatic Department set forth by the Aquatics Director.
• Notify maintenance regarding any pool problems (chlorine, air issues, etc.)
• Assist with staff training and supervision.
• Ensure records of staff certifications are current and complete. Identify and inform Aquatics Director of training and certification needs.
• Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
• Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
• Help monitor program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
• Assist with YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
• Model relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
• Assist with Program Committee meetings and staff meetings as requested by Aquatic Director.
• Compile program statistics; monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in program.
• Evening and weekend hours required; coordinate schedule with Aquatics Director.
• Assist with the development of new ideas and continue to improve programs to suit community needs.
• Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
• Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
• Act as Director on Duty as scheduled.
• Assist the Aquatics Director with the implementation and oversight of a YMCA swim team.
• Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
• Current CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers certification.
• Two +years of related experience.
• Complete knowledge of the National YMCA Aquatics Youth and Adult Swim Program with YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification or equivalent.
• Completion of program-specific and trainer certifications such as American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor and YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Trainer or equivalent.
• Additional YMCA Certifications and American Red Cross Certifications preferred.
• Swim Team experience preferred.
• Knowledge of pool management and safety issues.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
• The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, email your resume and application to email@example.com.
$28.13 per hour. Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, LTD, generous retirement plan, free membership, program discounts, paid time off and more.
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.