To instruct group exercise classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. To offer a variety of exercise modalities, to enhance physical fitness levels through instruction of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and mind-body practices.
1. Arrive on time, prepared to begin and end the class on time.
2. Lead energizing, fun, safe, and educational group exercise classes in accordance with the YMCA mission and goals.
3. Answer questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living.
4. Maintain a working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
5. Educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications, and modifications of a move or moves; adjust class to accommodate a variety of fitness levels.
6. Build effective, authentic relationships with members; help members connect with each other and the YMCA.
7. Keep accurate class attendance records, if required.
8. Follow YMCA policies and procedures; know emergency procedures, respond to emergency situations and accurately file an incident report.
9. Know and enforce all YMCA/Fitness Dept. rules to ensure the safety of all members/participants; immediately stop any behavior, which in your professional opinion is deemed unsafe.
10. Always behave in a manner consistent with YMCA policies and procedures.
11. Dress neatly and professionally.
12. Use professional music, without obscene language and innuendos.
13. Know facility schedules and be familiar all YMCA programs.
14. Use Group Ex Pro for coverage requests and communicating class attendance.
15. Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
16. Clean and disinfect equipment, in accordance with YMCA protocols.
1. Nationally recognized certification in group fitness instruction (e.g., ACE, ACSM, AFAA NASM); YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification or nationally recognized specialty certification (e.g., Yoga, Zumba)
2. First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 Administration certification required within 6-months of hire. Maintain active status every two-years.
3. YMCA Praesidium Academy on line trainings within thirty days of hire.
4. YMCA of Long Island New Employee Orientation within thirty days of hire.
5. Knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
1. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position.
2. Ability to conduct classes and activities.
3. Ability to lift up to 45lbs regularly and 50-100lbs occasionally.
4. Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
5. Physical strength in back, arms and legs to be able to sweep and carry items.
6. Ability to bend, scoop, kneel, stretch and reach constantly.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to Brittany Kontos at email@example.com.