The Day Camp Junior Counselor plays a critical role in the successful operation of the Summer Day Camp program. The Day Camp Junior Counselor is responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction and academic/personal growth.
· Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times. Understand, maintain, and ensure that participants follow safety procedures.
· Be an agent of safety for campers. This includes taking responsibility for one’s own well-being and the well-being of others. Assist in COVID-19 wellness screenings and health related concerns.
· Assist in the planning and implementation of meaningful activities, lesson plans and special events that are structured, age- appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, literacy, creative expression, community service, physical fitness and/or nutrition.
· Perform specific scheduled assignments, including but not limited to: swimming, arrival and/or departure, and lunch duty.
· Support the planning and implementation of all camp activities, including but not limited to summer learning initiatives, field trips, in-camp events, and culminating performances.
· Work cooperatively with all program staff.
· Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants.
· Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
· Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
· Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Summer Day Camp program to staff, participants, and care givers.
· Attend all required pre-camp trainings. Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
· Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
· Must be 16 years if age or older.
· Currently attending high school; high school diploma preferred.
· Minimum one year of experience working with youth preferred.
· Strong communication and relationship building skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
· YMCA at Glen Cove, 125 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove – Peter Foster, Careers_GC@ymcali.org
· Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington- Nicole Dinolfo, HuCamp@ymcali.org
· Patchogue YMCA, 155 Buckley Road, Holtsville- Tina Norbut, Tina.Norbut@ymcali.org
· YMCA East Hampton RECenter, 2 Gingerbread Lane, East Hampton- Sondra Vecchio, Sondra.Vecchio@ymcali.org