The Camp Teacher, under the direction of the Camp Director, is responsible for providing leadership, oversight and support to the Summer Rec Program while ensuring the overall well-being and safety of the campers and the activities in the program.
· Ensure the health, safety and well-being of program participants and staff by providing appropriate supervision at all times. Understand, maintain, and ensure that staff and participants follow safety procedures.
· Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants; and promotes a positive camp spirit.
· Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
· Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
· Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
· Help in staff placement/assignment.
· Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
· Set up attendance binders. Maintain all records including attendance for counselors and children, incident reports, daily logs, and parent sign in and out book, in compliance with HR procedures, state and other agency regulations as appropriate.
· Manage and fully supervise campers, Camp Counselors, and all activities.
· Be responsible in assisting counselors with disciplinary issues when needed. Model and enforce appropriate positive discipline techniques as established by the policies of the center.
· Be aware of location of all children and staff during camp hours.
· Assist with arrival, dismissal and special events.
· Responsible to communicate with parents when needed.
· Return any phones messages pertaining to group, camper and/or staff
· Become knowledgeable in camp information and procedures.
· Participate in extended care schedule
· Communicate/check attendance for assigned bus(es)
· Create a safe, nurturing, and fun environment for campers and staff
· Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
· Active NYS Teaching Certification in Early Childhood Education, CDA credential or a Bachelors degree in a related field is required.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communication with all levels including staff and parents.
· Ability to problem solve and make decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
· Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
· Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
· CPR, First Aid and AED certifications required.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to the specific contact below at your desired location:
· YMCA at Herricks Summer Rec Program, Center Street Elementary School, 240 Center Street Williston Park and Herricks High School, 100 Shelter Rock Road, New Hyde Park – Liberty Ledesma, Liberty.Ledesma@ymcali.org