To welcome, greet and provide friendly assistance to facility users, creating a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. To maintain a clean fitness center using disinfecting products provided by the YMCA while implementing physical and social distancing practices to keep all facility users safe. To provide safe and effective instructions on the operation of all cardiovascular and weight training equipment while maintaining social and physical distancing measures and not touching equipment during instructions. To provide assessments and orientations designed to aid members in achieving healthy goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
• Cleanliness and member safety are essential. Equipment needs to be fully wiped down and disinfected consistently after member usage. It is the Fitness Center Staff’s role to disinfect the entire piece of equipment beyond what a member directly touches. Fitness Center Staff will be provided with a checklist of cleaning tasks to complete during their shift.
• Ensure members wipe down equipment before and after each use.
• When permitted to being offering it is important to provide safe and effective instruction to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
• By providing all members with an orientation implementing YMCA Coaching methods and adjusting to accommodate a variety of fitness levels, understanding contraindications and offering potential modifications.
• By performing an assessment using specific form based on member’s level of comfort.
• By implementing Listen First skills to create realistic healthy goals based off assessment.
• By providing MY WELLNESS PLAN appointments with members focusing on creating goals and setting them into action following the outlined protocol.
• To understand and to be able to use all strength training and cardiovascular exercise equipment.
• To enforce all facility and program policies.
• To know and enforce all Fitness Center Rules to ensure the safety of all members/participants. To immediately stop any behavior, which in your professional opinion is deemed unsafe. To always act maturely and professionally.
• To be dressed neatly in YMCA uniform shirt and black shorts/navy shorts/fitness pants. Name tags are required by all employees at all times while on duty.
• Such activities as eating, reading, texting, cell phone conversations, listening to iPod, watching TV, playing games or puzzles or working out during your shift are forbidden.
• To know the facility schedule and familiarize oneself with all YMCA programs.
• To answer questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintain working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
• To build effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. To play a positive role in assisting the Health Seekers to obtain their goals.
• To follow YMCA policies and procedures, to know emergency procedures, to respond to emergency situations and to accurately file an incident report.
• To have adequate coverage in your absences. Inform supervisor when coverage is needed and provide a substitute at least two weeks in advance.
• To perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Fitness Center Monitor
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
1. First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 Administration certification required within 6-months of hire. Maintain active status on an annual basis.
2. YMCA Sexual Harassment and Child Abuse Training within thirty days of hire.
3. Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y, Principles of Member Health and Wellness , Wellness Center at the Y certification within six months of hire.
4. Foundations of Strength and Conditioning at the Y (Offered by ACE) within six months of hire.
5. YMCA Listen First within three months of hire.
6. Must have knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
1. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position.
2. Ability to lift 45lbs regularly and 50-100lbs occasionally.
3. Ability to walk and stand for extended period of time.
4. Has the physical strength in back, arms and legs to be able to sweep and carry items.
5. Ability to bend, scoop, kneel, stretch and reach constantly.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter to Coleen Delorenzo at Coleen.Delorenzo@ymcali.org.