Under the supervision of their supervisor, the Youth Sports Instructor will represent the Long Island Y in a positive professional manner, resulting in friendly, convenient and courteous service. The Youth Sports Instructor will be responsible for teaching classes as assigned. They are also responsible for the safety and well-being of all class participants.
- Instruction of assigned classes, teaching proper techniques and form of appropriate sport
- Keep accurate attendance records and class records
- Evaluate students’ ability/level for proper placement
- Explain progress and procedures to supervisor, participants and parents
- Prepare gym/outdoor areas with necessary equipment/supplies
- Prepare lesson plans, in accordance with approved goals for the designated program
- Maintain continuous order and safety in class, in line with youth principles and YMCA standards
- Supervise groups of different age groups with control and enthusiasm
- Attend scheduled meetings with Program Director/Coordinator in preparation for upcoming sports sessions
- Work with and provide leadership for parent and program volunteers
- Maintain hygiene habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
- Clean area after class, reporting damaged/broken equipment to supervisor immediately
- Provide friendly, courteous service to all members, clients and volunteers of the Y
- Contribute to a positive work environment by illustrating pride in job, enthusiasm and cooperation with co-workers
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least one year of experience working with youth
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate activities.
- Sports skills and experience in teaching a related class
- Current CPR and AED certification
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Professional appearance & demeanor at all times
- Punctual, prepared & responsible
- Keeps up with industry changes, willing to increase knowledge in field
- Ability to highlight, promote, and participate in other programs offered at the branch
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to Nicole Dinolfo at Nicole.Dinolfo@ymcali.org.