This position is responsible for the safety and supervision of children while their parents are participating in on-site recreation activities or classes at the YMCA Branch. Primarily provide a positive play atmosphere for children ages 6 months+, both indoors and outdoors. (Majority of kids are toddlers and preschool aged). Ensures a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Supervise, provide care, actively interact and play with children in activities that can include the following actions: reading, drawing, coloring, puzzles, games, and playing with toys.
- Ensure that the environment is safe and welcoming.
- Establish effective interpersonal relationships through honest, open communication with co-workers children and parents.
- Leads and instructs children in games and other activities.
- Provides comfort to upset children.
- Pages parents if a child is upset or ill.
- Provides feedback to parents.
- Takes proper safety precautions, anticipates unsafe circumstances, and acts accordingly to prevent accidents.
- Act in a professional manner at all times providing maximum customer service.
- Be aware of all Branch areas and staff; know who can assist you.
- Spend time developing cooperative working relationships.
- Report all accidents, safety hazards, or conflicts to your supervisor immediately.
- Be responsible for the safety of self, participants, room, equipment, materials and other areas of the recreation center, inside and out.
- Become CPR and First Aid certified. Perform CPR and First Aid if needed.
- Serve as a positive role model with an emphasis on developing and maintaining effective communication with participants, parents, other staff and supervisors.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training, as needed / required.
- Build enthusiasm for activities and programs.
- Disinfect equipment and toys during shifts.
- Keep the program areas neat and organized. Follow all safety procedures.
- Project a positive image self and the YMCA.
- Follow work site requirements regarding punctuality, appropriate dress, staff meeting attendance, etc.
- Assist in YMCA recruitment and special events, as needed / required.
- Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
- Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Other tasks as directed.
- A high desire to work with children in a child care setting.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with participants, families, and co-workers.
- Ability to reason, problem solve and resolve conflicts effectively.
- Must have a good work ethic; be reliable, on time and dependable.
- Prior experience working with children required.
- Customer service experience a plus.
- Minimum age of 16 years old required.
- Must possess or obtain American Red Cross Standard First Aid certification and CPR Certification within 90 days of hire and maintain for continued employment.
- Child Abuse Prevention and Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- The job may require the following: lift up to 30 lbs., frequent bending, stooping and standing for long periods of time.
- Must be able to see, hear and verbally communicate to effectively work with co-workers, patrons and children.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak, read, or hear. Constant hearing to effectively communicate with guests, staff and to be aware of any possible dangers in the child care area is required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Huntington: For immediate consideration, please email a resume if available and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to Nicole Dinolfo at Nicole.Dinolfo@ymcali.org.
Bay Shore: For immediate consideration, please email a resume and/or a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications to Julissa Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org.