The Aquatics Coordinator under the direction of the Aquatics Director is responsible for organizing and implementing diverse and safe swim programs, which will incorporate large group and individual activities, swim lessons for all ages and promote program participation. Responsibilities also include staff supervision, planning and confirmation of staff assignments and schedules and assisting with staff training. The Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for providing quality leadership and supervision in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The positions key function is to build strong lasting relationships with members, employees and volunteers that will build healthy lifestyles.
1. Instruction and supervision of Aquatic programs. Supervise Aquatics Department in the absence of the Aquatic Director.
2. Organize program session scheduling and class assignments. Participate with the Aquatic Director in the placement and assignment of class instructors.
3. Assist with the supervision of staff and ensure programs and Lifeguard staffing are adequately covered.
4. Complete all records and reports essential for staff training, evaluation, program planning and pool scheduling.
5. Personally provide a minimum of 10-20 hours per week of direct service as a lifeguard and/or swim instructor.
6. Be accountable for coverage of all assigned lifeguard and/or swim instructor shifts.
7. Maintain and enforce the high standards of the Aquatic Department.
8. Notify maintenance regarding any pool problems (chlorine, air issues, etc.)
9. Assist with preparation of staff performance evaluations.
10. Ensure records of staff certifications are current and complete. Identify and inform Aquatics Director of training and certification needs.
11. Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
12. Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
13. Help monitor program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
14. Assist with YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
15. Model relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
16. Assist with Program Committee meetings and staff meetings as requested by Aquatic Director.
17. Compile program statistics; monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in program.
18. Evening and weekend hours required; coordinate schedule with Aquatics Director.
19. Develop new ideas and continue to improve programs to suit community needs.
20. Adhere to all Department of Health and YMCA of Long Island standards, expectations and regulations.
21. Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
1. YMCA Lifeguard and YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor and Instructor Trainer or equivalent
2. Two +years of related experience.
3. Current Lifeguard Certification
4. Complete knowledge of the National YMCA Aquatics Youth and Adult Swim Program or equivalent
5. Completion of YMCA program-specific and trainer certifications CPR: FPR and Community First Aid, Fundamentals of Teaching YMCA swimming. Additional YMCA certifications and Red Cross Certification preferred.
6. Knowledge of pool management and safety issues.
7. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to Sondra Vecchio, Aquatics and Camp Director, at Sondra.Vecchio@ymcali.org.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary - $24.00 per hour
· Health/Vision and Dental Insurance
· Disability Insurance (short and long term)
· Life Insurance
· Full Membership (plus applicable discounts)
· Employee Assistance Program
· Paid-Time Off (vacation, sick, personal, holidays and floating holidays)
· Retirement Plan (no cost to the individual, 12% of gross salary after 2 years of FT employment)