GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR (PART-TIME) Patchogue Family YMCA
To instruct group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. To offer a variety of exercise modalities to enhance physical fitness levels through instruction of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and mind-body practices.
• To lead energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes that accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
• To answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. To maintain a working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
• To build effective, authentic relationships with members; help members connect with each other and the YMCA.
• To keep accurate class attendance records, if required.
• To follow YMCA policies and procedures, to know emergency procedures, to respond to emergency situations and to accurately file an incident report.
• To know and enforce all Fitness Center Rules to ensure the safety of all members/participants. To immediately stop any behavior, which in your professional opinion is deemed unsafe. To always act maturely and professionally.
• To dress neatly and professionally, with no midriff showing attire.
• To use professional music without obscene language and innuendos.
• To know facility schedules and familiarize oneself with all YMCA programs.
• To have the ability to adjust the workout to accommodate a variety of fitness levels.
• To educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications, and modifications of a move or moves.
• To arrive on time, prepared to begin and end the class on time. On time means you are changed, organized, scan/signed in for the start of your class, available to introduce and welcome new members. 3 late arrivals will result in immediate action not limited to termination.
• To be responsible for using Group Ex Pro for own class coverage when unavailable to teach.
• Use Group Ex Pro for communicating class attendance.
• Mission Advancement
• Operational Effectiveness
• Personal Growth
• First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 Administration certification required within 6-months of hire. Maintain active status every two-years.
• Sexual Harassment and Child Abuse Prevention Trainings within thirty days of hire.
• YMCA/YUSA Foundations of Group Exercise certification or a national certification (ACE, ACSM AFAA, NASM or equivalent) in group exercise instruction. If incumbent does not have certification at time of hire, must achieve within three months of hire.
• YMCA/YUSA Listen First within three months of hire. Certification in areas of expertise. (Yoga, Spinning, Diabetes Prevention, etc.)
• Must have knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 45 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
• Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newly hired employees will be paid between $20.00 p/h and $35.00 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
• Signing Bonus
• Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
• YMCA program discounts
• Sick leave
• Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.