As Group Exercise Instructor, you will instruct group exercise classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. You will offer a variety of exercise modalities, to enhance physical fitness levels through instruction of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and mind-body practices.
- Arrive on time, prepared to begin and end the class on time.
- Lead energizing, fun, safe, and educational group exercise classes.
- Answer questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living.
- Maintain a working knowledge of health and wellness to provide effective information and support to members.
- Educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications, and modifications of a move or moves; adjust class to accommodate a variety of fitness levels.
- Build effective, authentic relationships with members; help members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Keep accurate class attendance records, if required.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures; know emergency procedures, respond to emergency situations and accurately file an incident report.
- Dress neatly and professionally.
- Use professional music, without obscene language and innuendos.
- Know facility schedules and be familiar all YMCA programs.
- Use Group Ex Pro for coverage requests and communicating class attendance.
- Ensure program, staff and patrons maintain hygiene habits/practices in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Clean and disinfect equipment, in accordance with YMCA protocols.
- Mission Advancement
- Operational Effectiveness
- Personal Growth
- Nationally recognized certification in group fitness instruction (e.g., ACE, ACSM, AFAA NASM); YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification or nationally recognized Yoga certification
- First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 Administration certification required within 6-months of hire.
Maintain active status every two-years.
- YMCA Praesidium Academy on line trainings within thirty days of hire.
- Knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, strength and conditioning program leadership and implementation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will or may be required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 45 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
- Plan, lead and participate in a variety of physical activities.
how to apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum: $20.00 p/h to Maximum: $45.00 p/h
Newly hired employees will be paid between $20.00 p/h and $22.00 p/h depending on level of qualifications.
- Signing Bonus
- Free membership to any YMCA of Long Island Branch
- YMCA program discounts
- Sick leave
- Referral Program (earn up to $200 for each)
The YMCA of Long Island is an Equal Opportunity employer. We are an open and inclusive organization, welcoming a diverse workforce free of discrimination based on protected class status, including race, religion/creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other impermissible basis.