Under the supervision of the Head Coach and Aquatic Director, the Swim Team Coach is responsible for the instruction, leadership, supervision, control, and safety of all swim team participants. The Swim Team Coach is responsible for the appearance, presentation, and working order of all equipment used by the swim team. It is the Swim Team Coach's responsibility to observe and direct all swim team participants, and to provide feedback and appropriate correction as instructed or included in the job description.
1. Coach all sessions according to the standards and guidelines set by the YMCA Swimming
2. Attend all swim meets, home and away; complete all paperwork and forms required for each swim meet.
3. Focus on swim team participants at all times-socializing is not allowed; do not leave participants unattended.
4. Provide verbal feedback to each participant consistently throughout each session; communicate regularly with each participant and/or the participant's parent(s) about the performance, progress, goals, and needs of the participant.
5. Complete all required records and reports, including rosters, attendance records, and accident/incident reports.
6. Attend all meetings and trainings required by the swim league; attend all required staff meetings/in-services.
7. Check area for hazardous conditions when you arrive; prevent accidents and avoid dangerous situations; report any problems to the lifeguard on duty.
8. Know, adhere to, and enforce all pool, slide, diving board rules, and all YMCA rules and policies among swim team participants.
9. Ensure proper and timely set ups and clean ups before and after sessions, and store all instructional equipment in the proper locations.
10. Recruit and lead parent volunteers for the organization, set up, management, and break
down of swim meets, and ensure that trainings are attended as necessary.
11. Report to work on time, in uniform and at position when shift begins.
12. Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Minimum of two years of experience coaching.
2. Registered USA swimming coach.
3. Safety training for swim coaches.
4. Knowledge of anatomy and physiology and their relationship to the development of water fitness instruction.
5. Comprehensive understanding of competitive swimming concepts and their implementation.
6. Current Lifeguard, CPR/AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid certifications required.
7. Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
8. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
Ability to plan, lead, and participate in a variety of physical activities. May be required to drive between YMCA facilities and to training or meetings in various locations. May require lifting up to 25 lbs.
Please submit applications to Nicole Dinolfo, Operations Director, Nicole.Dinolfo@ymcali.org.